Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes
The chocolate and peppermint combination in this treat is perfect for any holiday celebration you might be attending.
Bring cupcakes to a Christmas event can be a nice change from the normal assortment of cookies trays that are found in abundance around this time of year.
Starbucks Peppermint Mocha cupcakes Recipe
• 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 2 teaspoon espresso powder
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
• 1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup light brown sugar
• 1 egg
• Vanilla buttercream
• Red and green gel paste
• Red and green peppermint candies
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder and salt. Whisk until combined.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4. With mixer on low speed add egg and extract. Mix until smooth.
5. Combine milk and coffee in a small container.
6. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and mix on low. While the mixer is turning, slowly add half of the milk mixture. Repeat, incorporating all the milk and flour mixtures.
7. Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full with cupcake batter and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
8. Place a 1M tip inside a piping bag. Using a food-only paintbrush, swipe one line of green gel paste from the top of the tip, up the inside of the bag. Repeat with the red gel paste opposite the green, again on the inside. Fill bag with white buttercream. Pipe a standard top to the cupcake and see the red and green swirl appear!
9. Top with a peppermint candy, or crushed candy cane pieces and serve when ready.
10. These are best eaten within 2-3 days.