VICTORIA SANDWICH CAKE. How to bake a Victoria sponge cake recipe.
- 225g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tbsp raspberry jam
- caster sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4, then grease and line the bases of 2 x 20cm/8-inch sandwich tins.
- Sift the flour and and baking powder into a bowl and add the butter, sugar and eggs. Mix together and beat well until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared tins and smooth the surfaces.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes (depending on your oven) or until well risen and golden brown and the cakes feel springy when lightly pressed.
- Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn out and peel off the lining paper. Transfer to wire cooling racks to cool completely.
- Sandwich the cakes together with the raspberry jam. Sprinkle the caster sugar on top to serve.