How to make Italian meringue buttercream
How to make Italian meringue buttercream – Light, fluffy, silky, and smooth! This buttercream will melt in your mouth!
Ingredients for sugar syrup:
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
Ingredients for the meringue:
- 5 extra large room temperature egg whites
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 3 1/2 sticks of softened butter(I use 2 sticks of unsalted and 1 1/2 sticks of salted)
- 1 tsp of lemon juice extract POWDER(can be found on www.KingArthurflour.com)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract(optional)
Additional items needed:
- Stand mixer and candy thermometer
- Make the sugar syrup by boiling your water with your sugar until it reaches 245. I use a small pot and set it over medium heat. Don’t forget to place your candy thermometer in there. As it cooks, begin making your meringue.
- Beat your egg whites in a stand mixer on HIGH until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in 1/4 cup of sugar. Continue to beat until medium to stiff peaks. Turn off mixer if your sugar syrup is not ready yet.
- With your mixer on HIGH, slowly pour in your hot sugar syrup in a steady stream. Continue to beat for 10-12 minutes, or until your mixing bowl is cool to the touch. Add in 2 sticks of butter first(a Tablespoon at a time) and then add in 1 teaspoon of lemon juice extract powder. Add in the rest of your butter and beat until fluffy. Add in 1 tsp of vanilla extract(optional).
If you add in your butter before your mixing bowl is cool to the touch, your buttercream will look like a soupy mess! But don’t fret my friends! Just keep beating on HIGH as you add in your butter, and it will all come back together in the end! Be sure to watch my video below on how to make the perfect Italian meringue buttercream!