Fluffy Moist Victoria Sponge Chiffon Cake
The Perfect sponge cake should be light, fluffy, moist, tall, soft on the edges and of course beautiful. Easy with the right recipe, painfully frustrating with all of the rest.
Perfect fluffy sponge cake recipe, moist and delicious.
Sponge Cake Recipe Ingredients
2 cups or 320g (11.29 ounces) plain all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups or 327g (11.53 ounces) sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp or 7.5g (0.26 ounces) gelatine (powdered)
1/2 cup or 125ml vegetable oil such as canola oil
7 egg yolks (or 105g (3.7 ounces))
1 cup or 250millilitres (8.45 fluid ounces) cold water
7 egg whites (or 252g (8.89 ounces))
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
To decorate 1 punnet strawberries, 600ml cream, 2 Tablespoons icing sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
(recipe source: adapted from this recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 320ºF (160ºC) or 266ºF (130ºC) if using a fan forced oven.
- Place your flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and gelatin into a bowl and whisk it to incorporate air and get rid of any lumps.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture then pour in the oil, egg yolks and water in that order. Set that bowl to one side.
- Put your egg whties and cream of tartar into another bowl and whisk on high speed until you get soft peaks.
- Mix together the flour mixture for 30 seconds only or until just combined, don’t ovemix this.
- Using a spatula fold in your egg whites in three batches.
- Line but do not grease two 20cm (7.87 inches) cake tins and spread the mixture evenly between the two.
- Bake in a slow oven, 320ºF (160ºC) for 55-60 minutes.
- When it is done leave in the tin and cool upside down.
Last Updated on January 1, 2023 by Sylvia Collins